Okay, you really weren’t supposed to eat them, but how were kids to know? After all, they were in the candy aisle. Technically though, the liquid inside was the candy, not the wax container that surrounded it – which didn’t stop kids from ingesting enough wax to turn their digestive tract into a candle, sans the wick. That’s right, we’re talking about the wax bottles of our youth.
Although there have been many brands of these popular treats, such as Nik L Nip, which were introduced in the 50s, most kids have always just referred to them as wax bottles. Shaped like you might imagine, each container was filled with an artificially colored and flavored syrupy liquid similar to Kool-Aid. Gnaw off the cap, taking care to keep the hole at the neck open so as not to restrict flow, and proceed to drench your taste buds with a shot of sweet nectar – a sugar rush and thirst quencher in every bite.
What you did from there was entirely up to you, of course. Nowhere on the package did it say not to eat the wax. Apparently, manufacturers just assumed that kids would instinctively know not to ingest the exterior. The millions of kids that have introduced wax to their digestive system over the years prove otherwise. Luckily, nobody was ever much worse for the wear as a result of these indulgences. The evidence exists in the countless adults that consumed these little colorful cocktails in their youth, bottle and all, and survived to tell the tale.